Nagoya University, Japan
Universität Oldenburg, Germany
École Polytechnique de Montréal, Canada
Recent Activities of the Technical Committee
Oct 7, 2012 - IROS 2012 Workshop on Bio Assembler for 3D Cellular System in Collaboration with Micro-Nano Robotics - Organizers: Tatsuo Arai, Makoto Kaneko, Masahiro Nakajima, Fumihito Arai, Toshio Fukuda, Brad Nelson, Pasi J. Kallio
Oct 12, 2012 - IROS 2012 Workshop on Magnetically Multiscale Medical Robots - Organizers: Pierre E. Dupont, Christos Bergeles, Panagiotis Vartholomeos
Nov 30, 2012 – Biomedical Microdevices, vol. 14, no. 6 – Special Issue on Bio-hybrid Systems and Living Machines – Associate Editors: Leonardo Ricotti, Arianna Menciassi, Keisuke Morishima
Dec 1, 2012 – Journal of Micro-Nano Mechatronics, vol. 7, no. 1-3 – Special Issue on bio-micro/nano manipulation and mechatronics -from International Symposium on Micro-Nanomechatronics and Human Science – Associate Editors: Masahiro Nakajima & Tatsuo Arai
Micro/Nano Robotics and Automation
The emerging field of robotics and automation at small spatial scales raises new scientific challenges and promises revolutionary advancements in such applications as biology, medicine, industry, micro and nanotechnologies and the environment. Phenomena at the micro and nanoscale are often markedly different from their macroscopic counterparts, and this has strong implications on robotic strategies, algorithms, software and hardware for manipulation, locomotion and control. Cells, biomolecules, and life processes all have characteristic dimensions in the nano and micro range. Artificial devices and systems at the nano and micro-scales will be able to interact intimately with biological ones, and are expected to lead to new scientific understanding and to new tools for such fundamental tasks as detection and treatment of disease.
The Technical Committee for Micro/Nano Robotics and Automation serves as a focal point to promote interactions and communication and provides leadership for research in this new field. Priority areas for the technical committee include but are not limited to:
- Design of Micro/Nanorobots
- Kinematic and Dynamic Modeling of Micro/Nanorobotic Systems
- Control of Micro/Nanorobotic Systems
- AFM/SPM Based Assembly and Manipulation at the Nanoscale
- Molecular Self-Assembly and Swarm Behavior of Micro/Nanorobots
- Magnetic Micro/Nanorobotics
- Bio- Micro/Nano-Robotics
- Applications (e.g. Medicine, Biology, Industrial Manufacturing)
- RAS TC on Micro/Nano Robotics & Automation successfully concluded the Microrobotics Challenge at ICRA 2013 in Karlsruhe, Germany.
- Coming Call for Paper (CFP) IEEE Transactions on Robotics, Special issue on Nanorobotics, details coming soon
- 3M-NANO 2013: Call for Participation
- FEMTO-ST Tenure-track position: micro-nano-technologies for smart systems
If you are interested in becoming a member of this committee, please send to the TC Co-chairs by email - your name, title, affiliation, email address, telephone number, and your area of interest.