Co-chairs of the Technical Committee on Robot Learning:
Cornell University, USA
University of Tokyo, Japan
May 22, 2008
Recent Activities of the Technical Committee:
The technical committee regularly organizes special sessions associated with the "Robot learning" RAS keyword. If you want your paper to be considered for such a session and have used the above keyword in your submission, please forward an email to the TC co-chairs (contact info at: http://www.ieee-ras.org/robot-learning/contact). The technical committee will not be involved in the reviewing process but will organize the session based on the list of accepted submissions with this keyword.
This is a summary of the workshops which were organized by the IEEE TC on Robot Learning:
- RSS 2014: Learning Plans with Context From Human Signals
- RSS 2014: Advanced Reasoning with Depth Cameras (RGB-D)
- ICRA 2014: Persistent Autonomy for Marine Robotics
- IROS 2012: Beyond Robot Grasping - Modern Approaches for Dynamic Manipulation
- AIMSA 2012: Advances in Robot Learning and Human-Robot Interaction
- ICRA 2010: Approaches to Sensorimotor Learning on Humanoid Robots
- R:SS 2009: Bridging the gap between high-level discrete representations and low-level continuous behaviors
- DAGSTUHL 2009: Cognition, Control and Learning for Robot Manipulation in Human Environments
- IROS 2008: Robotics Challenges for Machine Learning II
- NIPS 2007: Robotics Challenges for Machine Learning
Detailed list of TC activities
- Special Issue on Robot Learning in Practice, IEEE RAM
Special Issue June 1, 2010
IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine
Special Issue on Robot Learning in Practice
Deadline : October 1st 2009
Issue date: June 2010
- Active learning and intrinsically motivated exploration in robots
Special Issue January 31, 2010
Joint special issue with the IEEE CIS Technical committee on Autonomous Mental Development.
- NIPS 2009 Workshop on Probabilistic Approaches for Robotics and Control
Workshop December 11, 2009 - Whistler, BC, Canada
- Machine Learning and Motor Learning for Nonlinear Control
Talk September 14, 2009 - NSF CMMI
Workshop on Neuro-Mechanics
Invited overview talk to convince the NSF Civil, Mechanical and Manufacturing Innovation (CMMI) directorate that they should be paying attention to machine learning.
- A Road Map for Motor Skill Learning
Tutorial September 7, 2009 - Bled, Slovenia
First International Workshop on LEarning and data Mining for Robotics (LEMIR 2009)
- Special Issue on Robot Learning, Autonomous Robots
Special Issue September 1, 2009 - N.A.
Autonomous Robots Special Issue on Robot Learning. Edited by Jan Peters (Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics) and Andrew Ng (Stanford)
- Cognition, Control and Learning for Robot Manipulation in Human Environments
Workshop August 16, 2009 - Dagstuhl, Germany
- Robot Learning Summer School
Summer School July 20, 2009 - Lisbon, Portugal
Contact Information: Manuel Lopes
- R:SS 2009 Workshop: Bridging the gap between high-level discrete representations and low-level continuous behaviors
Workshop June 28, 2009 - Seattle, WA, USA
- The Role of Function Approximation for both Regression and Classification in Robotics
Talk June 28, 2009 - Seattle, WA, USA
- Reinforcement Learning by Reward-Weighted Regression
Talk June 28, 2009 - Seattle, WA, USA
- ICRA-2010 Workshop: Approaches to Sensorimotor Learning on Humanoid Robots
Workshop May 17, 2009 - Kobe, Japan
- Learning to Fly Like a Bird
Keynote April 15, 2009 - The Learning Workshop (Snowbird)
Learning-based nonlinear control for difficult to model systems. Also as Invited Talk at ISRR 2009.
- IROS Workshop on Challenges for Robot Learning II
Workshop September 19, 2008 - Nice, France
Robot Learning Workshop to introduce the TC upon establishment.
- Robot Learning
Tutorial August 26, 2008 - Nice, France
Keynote at IROS 2008 Workshop: From motor to interaction learning in robots.
- Motor Skill Learning for Cognitive Robotics
Tutorial July 22, 2008 - Patras, Greece
Tutorial on Robot Learning to the International Workshop on Evolutionary and Reinforcement Learning for Autonomous Robot Systems and The 6th International Cognitive Robotics Workshop.
- Towards Motor Skill Learning in Robotics
Keynote June 28, 2008 - Zuerich, Switzerland
- NIPS Workshop on Robotics Challenges for Machine Learning I
Workshop December 7, 2007 - Whistler, CA
NIPS Workshop preparing the Emergence of the TC
The robot hardware is progressively becoming more complex, which leads to growing interest in applying machine learning and statistics approaches within the robotics community. At the same time, there has been a growth within the machine learning community in using robots as motivating applications for new algorithms and formalisms. Considerable evidence of this exists in the use of robot learning approaches in high-profile competitions such as RoboCup and the DARPA Challenges, and the growing number of research programs funded by governments around the world. Additionally, the volume of research is increasing, as shown by the number of robot learning papers accepted to IROS and ICRA, and the corresponding number of learning sessions.
The primary goal of the Technical Committee on Robot Learning is to act as a focus point for wide distribution of technically rigorous results in the shared areas of interest around robot learning. Without being exclusive, such areas of research interest include:
learning models of robots, tasks or environments
learning deep hierarchies or levels of representations, from sensor and motor representations to task abstractions
learning of plans and control policies by imitation and reinforcement learning
integrating learning with control architectures
methods for probabilistic inference from multi-modal sensory information (e.g., proprioceptive, tactile, vison)
structured spatio-temporal representations designed for robot learning such as low-dimensional embedding of movements
developmental robotics and evolutionary-based learning approaches
- [April 2014] New workshops are being organized: one at ICRA 2014 and two at RSS 2014. More info in Activities.
- [May 21, 2013] New Job opening - Post-doc in Robot Learning on topic: "Machine Learning for Robotics". Details here: http://kormushev.com/news/postdoc-opening-in-machine-learning-for-robotics-2013/
[August 10, 2012] New IROS 2012 Workshop: "Beyond Robot Grasping - Modern Approaches for Dynamic Manipulation". The workshop will be held on October 12, 2012 in Algarve, Portugal. More information at the website of the workshop: http://www.ias.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/Research/IROS2012
[March 28, 2012] New AIMSA 2012 Workshop organized by the TC on "Advances in Robot Learning and Human-Robot Interaction". The workshop will be held on September 12, 2012 in Varna, Bulgaria. More information at the website of the workshop: http://kormushev.com/AIMSA-2012/
[March 13, 2012] New chairs of the TC. After three very successful years for this TC on Robot Learning, the founding chairs Jan Peters, Jun Morimoto, Russ Tedrake and Nicholas Roy are stepping down as chairs of the committee. They will be replaced by Petar Kormushev, Edwin Olson, Ashutosh Saxena, and Wataru Takano who have kindly agreed to take the reign of the committee. Please see the changes in the mailing list addresses here.