A new IEEE Robotics & Automation Society - Special Interest Group on Humanitarian Technology (RAS-SIGHT) was approved by the Society's Administrative Committee at the International Conference on Robotics and Automation in St. Paul in May 2012.
In September 2012, the IEEE Humanitarian Ad Hoc Committee (HAHC) approved the formation of RAS-SIGHT. RAS is the first IEEE Society to have a SIGHT!
The mission of RAS-SIGHT is the application of robotics and automation technologies for promoting humanitarian causes around the globe, and to leverage existing and emerging technologies for the benefit of humanity and towards increasing the quality of life in underserved, underdeveloped areas in collaboration with existing global communities and organizations.
In the first year, we will strive towards achieving the following objectives:
• Provide a forum to assess the state-of-the-art on how robotics and automation technology can aid in humanitarian causes
• Bring together our Society's members to participate in RAS-SIGHT activities
• Work with students, researchers, developers and end-users to formulate robotics-oriented humanitarian competitions, challenges, educational, and co-op opportunities.
Participation is welcome to those applying robotic and automation technologies for humanitarian causes. If you are interested in participating in RAS-SIGHT activities contact Raj Madhavan, Chair,
RAS-SIGHT was recently feautred in the IEEE newspaper, The Institute.About 2015 Humanitarian Robotics and Automation Technology Challenge :
- Call for Participation at HRATC 2015 (Open soon)
- Article to appear at IEEE RAM, Sept, 2014
- Website: http://www.isr.uc.pt/HRATC2014/
- Video at youtube: HRATC 2014 Lookback
- Call for Participation at HRATC 2014 (Closed)
- SIGHT June 2014 Newsletter http://ieeesightblog.wordpress.com/2014/06/11/pioneering-the-humanitarian-robotics-and-automation-technology-challenge-hratc/
- Clearpath Robotics, Inc. Blog on HRATC'14