Current Volunteer Opportunities
Call for Student Reporters at IROS 2014
The IEEE Robotics and Automation Society (RAS) Student Activities Committee and IROS 2014 conference organizers are looking for student volunteers to report live from the conference venue. This is a great excuse to talk to new people and get involved with the RAS!
Student reporters must be attending the conference, and will be given access to the IROS Twitter and Facebook accounts to post photos and event updates. Having some experience with Facebook and Twitter is a definite plus, but we’re primarily looking for students who will be engaged in the conference events, take lots of pictures, and post/tweet regularly about all the different things happening during IROS. You’ll have quite a bit of freedom in how you want to approach this, so we hope you’ll be creative!
- Full Name
- University or Organization
- Facebook and Twitter usernames (we’ll need these to give you access)
- Anticipated arrival/departure dates for IROS
- Anything else you’d like us to know!
Call for RAS SAC Logo Submissions
Want $200? The Student Activities Committee of the IEEE Robotics and Automation Society needs a logo! We’re looking for something that we can use in student news, announcements, and the website. We’re also going to be making t-shirts for SAC volunteers and getting some fun promotional items (we’re thinking koozies or frisbees) printed to give out at events the SAC puts on at conferences.
How will the contest work?
- You submit a logo before August 20th.
- The SAC will put together a list of the top designs, and create an online poll for RAS student members to vote on the winner.
- We print some fun promo material before IROS 2014 in Chicago, you get $200 and glory.
What are the Restrictions?
- Designs should be related to robots. And students.
- The logo has to work in one color (for printing on frisbees, etc.), but you’re encouraged to also submit a color version for print and web material.
- Don’t include anything under copyright protection.
- Text is fine -- if you come up with a slogan and a logo you’ll get extra glory (same amount of money).
- The final design will need to include “IEEE RAS SAC” somewhere (small is fine, abbreviated or spelled out).
How should logos be submitted?
- Use any software you want, but keep file sizes under 5 MB.
General SAC Involvement
Join Our Google Group
Interested to volunteer with the Student Activities Committee? Our Google Group is a common area for SAC volunteers to communicate ideas and work together towards our SAC initiatives.
After joining our Google Group, let us know what you are interested to help with by filling out the form below
Propose an Initiative
We’re looking to start a few new programs for students and we’d love to get your feedback on some of our ideas, and hear any ideas you may have! What do you think the SAC could provide to members at conferences or in general to help students with networking, making connections, getting access to resources and information, etc.?
Please let us know though our shared New SAC Initiatives Google Doc.
As a general guideline, the more specific you can be,the better for helping us get an idea of what you’re looking for. Let us know why a particular program would be helpful, how you’d envision implementing, etc. Soon, we’ll be asking for volunteers to work with us and possible take charge of different projects.
Volunteer at an RAS conferences
- Lab tours.
- City tours.
- Student lunches/dinners.
- Or any other exciting local opportunities. These conferences offer a unique opportunity to experience other cultures!
IEEE RAS Membership
Not am IEEE RAS member yet? - no problem, join NOW!
IEEE is the world's largest professional association providing access to the industry's most essential technical information, networking opportunities, career development tools and many other exclusive benefits to its members. Learn more about these here.
The Robotics and Automation Society (RAS) is interested in both applied and theoretical issues in robotics and automation. The Robotics and Automation Magazine and the Transactions on Robotics are the highest ranked journals in the field. We do not need to introduce the flagship conferences of the RAS: ICRA and IROS, both providing significant discounts to members.
We are particularly inviting you to join the RAS Student Committee, to be part of a great experience: having fun while acquiring new knowledge and developing your career. Below, you can see the variety of programs we are preparing for our colleagues . You are welcome to join! All in all, IEEE requires a very modest membership fee from students compared to the direct and indirect benefits.