RAM Special Issues
Call for Papers
Special Issue on Wearable Robotics
Deadline for Paper Submission: 10 March 2014
Publication Schedule: December 2014
A Wearable Robot (WR) is an artificial apparatus that is placed in a close fit to the human’s body, thereby moving and working in synchrony with its limbs. Examples of WRs include active exoskeletons, which are worn in parallel to the user’s body so as to augment its performance, and active limb-prostheses, which are worn in series to the user’s body so as to replace some missing extremity. WRs make it possible to realize a human-robot symbiotic system with enhanced/restored strength, speed, endurance and energetic autonomy. Practical applications of WRs range from physical assistance of the elderly, disabled people and heavy duty workers to the functional rehabilitation and restoration of lost functions.
Since the last decade, significant advances have occurred in Wearable Robotics, which is now attracting the interest from the industry and the media. However, the development of a complete and functional WR is still a very challenging task, which deserves innovations under several regards, including ergonomics, kinematics, dynamics, actuation, interaction control and energetics. In this context, this special issue focuses on complete and working Wearable Robots, and specifically targets at presenting new scientific results and methodologies that can assist the practicing engineer in the design, development, control and validation of novel WR systems.
Scope, Description and information
Researchers working in Industry and Academia are invited to submit their original and unpublished research results on technological and experimental aspects associated with the design, development, control and validation of complete and working Wearable Robotic systems.
Topics of interest include:
• Power extenders for material handling;
• Robotic orthoses for physical assistance and rehabilitation;
• Active limb-prostheses;
• Wearable haptic exoskeletons;
• Novel design and validation methodologies for wearable robots.
• Rocco Vertechy, PERCRO Lab, Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna, Pisa (Italy) – Corresponding Guest Editor
• Dino Accoto, Biomedical Robotics and Biomicrosystems Lab, University Campus Bio-Medico di Roma, Rome (Italy)
• Hugh Herr, MIT Media Lab, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge (MA, USA)
Proposing a Special Issue
- Guest Editors are encouraged to write a survey/tutorial article for the special issue.
- Guest Editors are allowed to submit a maximum of 1 article (total) for the issue they edit and such submission is handled directly by the EiC and AEs without involvement of the Guest Editors.
- In case the EiC or AEs would submit a paper, the paper will be handled outside the paper management system and given in responsibility to an other AE which will have the function of the EiC for handling that specific paper (Publications Operations Manual, Section 8.2.2.A).
Currently Open Special Issues
- Special issue on Perception and Navigation for Autonomous Vehicles
Guest editors: Philippe Martinet, Christian Laugier, Urbano Nunes,
Paper submission deadline closed. Issue publication June 2013
- Special issue on Emerging Applications of Stochastic Geometry in Autonomous Robotics
Guest editors: Martin Adams, Ba-Ngu Vo, Ronald Mahler
Paper submission deadline: March 10, 2013