Call for Proposals: Funding available for Humanitarian Projects
The IEEE Robotics and Automation Society - Special Interest Group on Humanitarian Technology (RAS-SIGHT) is engaging the academic and non-academic community to propose viable solutions in R&A to address relevant world problems through several initiatives that include competitions, funding impactful projects, and establishment of collaboration networks with academia, industry, and governments. The mission of RAS-SIGHT is the application of robotics and automation technologies for promoting humanitarian causes around the globe, and to leverage existing and emerging technologies for the benefit of humanity in under-served, under-developed areas in collaboration with existing global communities and organizations.
RAS-SIGHT’s activities broadly fall under Challenges and Projects. While Challenges are intended to advance the state-of-the-art in robotics and automation and provide a platform for researchers and developers to participate in a group setting working towards addressing problems with a humanitarian slant, Projects facilitate communities and associated organizations to work closely with robotics and automation researchers to elevate the quality of life for the residents of communities across the globe. RAS-SIGHT envisions Humanitarian Robotics and Automation Technology Challenges (HRATCs) as an unprecedented opportunity for technologists from around the world to collaborate using their skills and education to benefit humanity. The problems (challenges) are framed with the environmental, cultural, structural, political, socio-economic, and resource constraints so that solutions can be developed, deployed, and sustained.
In this vein, RAS-SIGHT is soliciting proposals that when implemented would improve the quality of life for the beneficiaries. A listing of previously completed and currently running projects are available from http://ieee-ras.org/ras-sight/projects.
Some important points worth noting:
* The problem that you propose to solve should utilize robotics and/or automation technologies
* It is strongly encouraged that the solution be developed and deployed with active involvement from the community or the end-users that it is intended to benefit
* Sustainability beyond the completion of the project will be a key consideration
If you are interested, please submit a 4 page (max.) proposal in the standard IEEE conference format outlining:
- the problem,
- the solution,
- related work, similar initiatives, and how the proposed project will achieve new results than what is currently available,
- proposed partnerships with existing initiatives,
- number of people who would be impacted,
- previous experiences, both in terms of applied research and deployment,
- project development timeline,
- breakdown of anticipated costs, and how the funds would be used to support the project, and
- short biographies of project members (with URLs of respective websites)
We anticipate to fund proposals in the US$2500-$5000 range from all Regions of IEEE. Please note that the awarded funds cannot be used to support wages or salaries of personnel or for supporting theoretical research.
All submissions should be sent to Raj Madhavan, Chair, RAS-SIGHT at <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
Submission Deadline: 20 April 20 2018
Acceptance Notifications: 5 May 2018
Additional information is available from:
* RAS-SIGHT: http://www.ieee-ras.org/ras-sight
* RAS-SIGHT Publications: http://www.ieee-ras.org/ras-sight/publicationshttp://www.ieee-ras.org/ras-sight/publications
* RAS-SIGHT Projects: http://ieee-ras.org/ras-sight/projectshttp://ieee-ras.org/ras-sight/projects
* IEEE Conference Template: https://www.ieee.org/conferences_events/conferences/publishing/templates.htmlhttps://www.ieee.org/conferences_events/conferences/publishing/templates.html