Volume 8, Number 1
1. RAS welcomes new officers
Effective January 1, 2010 the officers and adcom members of the IEEE Robotics and Automation Society:
- President: Kazuhiro Kosuge
- President Elect: David Orin
- Secretary: Kevin Lynch
- Treasurer: Xiaoping Yun
- Past President: Bruno Siciliano
- Vice President for Publication Activities: Peter Luh
- Vice President for Conference Activities: Nikolaos Papanikolopoulos
- Vice President for Technical Activities: John Hollerbach
- Vice President for Member Activities: Stefano Stramigioli
- Vice President for Industrial Activities:Alex Zelinsky
- Vice President for Financial Activities: William Hamel
Elected/Appointed AdCom members
Terms ending in 2012
- Hugh Durrant-Whyte
- Danica Kragic
- Vijay Kumar
- Jean-Paul Laumond
- Roland Siegwart
- Jing Xiao
Terms ending in 2011
- Nancy Amato
- Fumihito Arai
- Antonio Bicchi
- Aude Billard
- Hideki Hashimoto
- C.S. George Lee (appointed to fill the unexpired term of David Orin)
- Tamas Haidegger (Student AdCom Member, appointed for a two year term)
Terms ending 2010
- Martin Buss (appointed to fill the unexpired term of Stefano Stramigioli)
- Peter Corke
- Alessandro De Lucao
- Lynne Parker
- Shigeki Sugano
- Satoshi Tadokoro
The voting members of the RAS Administrative Committee include the President, Vice President, President Elect, Past President, Secretary , Treasurer, a Student AdCom Representative, and eighteen members who are elected by the RAS membership. If an elected member resigns to take another office or for other reasons, the president appoints a member to complete the unexpired term.
2. SECOND CALL: IEEE and RAS Awards: Call for nominations:
- IEEE RA Award --Deadline January 31, 2010
- IEEE Fellow -- Deadline March 1, 2010
RAS Society Awards --Deadline March 1 2010
- RAS Chapter of the Year Award
- RAS Most Active Technical Committee Award
- RAS Most Active Distinguished Lecturer Award
- RAS Pioneer Award
- RAS Early Career Awards in Academia and Industry/Government
- EEE-RAS Distinguished Service Award
- IEEE Inaba Technical Award for Innovation Leading to Production
- IEEE RAS George Saridis Leadership Award in Robotics and Automation
- IEEE/IFR IERA Award -- Deadline for Applications March 31, 2010
See http//www.ieee-ras.org/awards for details.
3. Let everyone see your Videos on the IEEE-RAS YouTube Channel!
YouTube channel to provide a central point for videos of real robots. If you have a cool video from your lab, send the URL to Roberts at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Keep sending robot pix for RA Magazine Covers!
We have received a number of great photos, but welcome more. If you've got a robot photo you would like to be considered for the cover of RA Magazine please contact Associate Editor Srikanth Saripalli. If the photo is >20MB please email them to him at email@example.com (Apologies for previous incorrect email.) Otherwise please contact him by email and he will provide a web address to upload to. You must have clear copyright for the photo and provide us with photo credit information.
5. Looming conference deadlines!
The new year is here. Stop procrastinating!
- ICIA 2010: Int'l Conf. on Information & Automation. Jun 20-24. Harbin, China. Submissions due February 1. http://www.icia.org.
- MED'10: 18th Conf. on Control and Automation. Jun 23-26. Marrakech, Morocco. Submissions deadline January 31. http://www.med10.org.
- RSS:Robotics: Science and Systems. Jun 27-Jul 1. Zaragoza, Spain. Submission Deadlines: Abstracts: 1/15/2010; Full Papers: 1/22/2010.
- AIM 2010: IEEE/ASME Int'l Conf. on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics. Jul 6-9, Montreal, Canada. Submissions Deadline: Feb. 1. https://engineering.purdue.edu/AIM2010/
- IEEE-CASE 2010: IEEE Con. on Autmation Science & Engineering. Aug 22-24. Montreal Canada. Submissions deadline February 12, 2010. http://case2010.org/
- SSRR 2010: IEEE Int'l Workshop on Safety, Security & Rescue Robotics. Jul 26-31. Bremen, Germany. Submissions Deadline: March 15. http://robotics.jacobs-university.de/SSRR2010/
- 2010 RO-MAN: 18th Int'l Symp. on Robot and Human Interactive Communication. Submissions Deadline: March 1. ro-man2010.org/indexin.php
- BioRob 2010: 3rd IEEE RAS & EMBS Int'l Conf on Biomedical Robotics and Mechatronics. Sept 26-9. http:nml.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/BioRob2010/
See the RAS Web Calendar for a list of all RAS sponsored, cosponsored & technically cosponsored conferences: http://www.ieee-ras.org/calendar/list.