Buildings contribute a significant part in the energy consumption in many developed and developing countries. For example, on annual basis buildings consume about 40% of the energy and 70% of the electricity in the United States. In China, the energy consumption in buildings has risen from 10% to 25% of the overall energy consumption of the country since 1978, and is predicted to be 35% increase every year in the coming years.

Building energy consumption is strongly dependent on the functionality of the building, the occupancy behavior, the outdoor environment, the structure and building materials, and the operation management. Building is also an important consumer of smart grid, an important part of the smart city. Thus building energy saving is by nature a cross-disciplinary research, and requires one to use the knowledge (models on building dynamics, occupant movement, and outdoor environment) and methodology (such as optimization and online decision making) from multiple fields. It is the purpose of this technical committee to promote the research in this area, to build the strong connection between building energy saving and security with the RAS society.


Topics to be covered include, but are not limited to:

  • Information acquisition techniques (such as wireless sensor network)
  • Building integrated control for energy saving
  • Building as a micro grid
  • Fire and security in buildings
  • Human comfort control in buildings
  • HVAC fault detection, diagnosis, and prognosis
  • Manufacturing facilities

Official Website

Committee News