List of activities during past three years
- HRI 2019 Workshop entitled “Bodily Human Robot Interaction”
We have co-organized a workshop dedicated to discuss and explore the specific interdisciplinary aspects of Bodily human robot interaction, and establish a common ground for this area as a recognized and continued research topic. Bodily interaction with robots and robotic devices is partially established in niche applications such as exoskeletons, assistive devices and advanced machines for physical training where bodily interaction is the application.
ICRA 2019 Workshop proposal on “Rhetoric and robotics: An exercise to shape the values of the discipline of robotics”
We provided the support of the IEEE Robotics and Automation Society Technical Committee on Biorobotics to the proposed workshop entitled “Rhetoric and robotics: An exercise to shape the values of the discipline of robotics” submitted to the ICRA 2019 conference and co-organised by Emmanuelle Danblon, Gentiane Venture, Céline Pieters and Jean-Paul Laumond. This workshop will specifically focus on the values of the discipline of robotics borrow from the living organisms and the human intelligence. The influence of biologically inspired robots in this realm is still in is nascent stage, and workshops such as the one you are proposing are critical to bring together researchers for critical exchange in this growing field.
IROS 2018 Workshop proposal on “Development of Agile Robot”
We provided the support of the IEEE Robotics and Automation Society Technical Committee on Biorobotics to the proposed workshop entitled “Development of Agile Robot” submitted to the IROS 2018 conference and co-organised by Hartmut Geyer, Suuji Kajita, Nikos Tsagarakis and Nikos Tsagarakis. This workshop aimed to focus on a set of state-of-the-art interdisciplinary topics required for in novel robot design and control, to allow for the development of agile robotic systems capable of executing dynamic motions and quickly responding to external/internal state changes.
ICRA 2018 Workshop proposal on “Grand Scientific Challenges for the Robot Companion of the future”
We provided the support of the IEEE Robotics and Automation Society Technical Committee on Biorobotics to the proposed workshop entitled “Grand Scientific Challenges for the Robot Companion of the future” submitted to the ICRA 2018 conference and co-organised by Oussama Khatib, Cecilia Laschi, Jean Paul Laumond and Atsuo Takanishi and Paolo Dario. This workshop offered offer new insights on the science and the technology enabling the next generations of Robot Companions, capable of overcoming the inherent limitations of current robots in human daily-life scenarios. The workshop should provide a description of the grand challenges of science-grounded bio-inspired Robotics that aim to design and build robots integrating soft bodyware, controlled by emergent behaviour and orchestration, exploiting their partly compliant body, using energy more efficiently.
ROMAN 2018 Special Session entitle “Social Intelligence in Kinesthetic Human-Robot Interaction”We have co-organized a special session dedicated to the transdisciplinary study and design of such Social intelligence in Kinesthetic Human-Robot interaction, that bridge the technical research fields of robotics, with expertise in humanities, social and health related research.
- Under preparation.
- J Lai, NC Nowlan, R Vaidyanathan, GHA Visser, CC Lees, “The use of actograph in the assessment of fetal well-being”, The Journal of Maternal-Fetal & Neonatal Medicine, 1-6, 2019.
- Jianan Li, Hui Xie, Rui Ma, K. H. Low, ”Output Feedback Image-Based Visual Servoing of Rotorcrafts,” Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems 93(1-2): 277-287, 2019.
- ZH Shen, J Seipel “Effective leg stiffness of animal running and the co-optimization of energetic cost and stability”, Journal of theoretical biology 451, 57-66, 2018.
- Xiong Li, Wenjie Chen, Wei Lin, Kin Huat Low, “A Variable Stiffness Robotic Gripper Based on Structure-Controlled Principle” IEEE Trans. Automation Science and Engineering 15(3): 1104-1113, 2018.
- Garcia, G., Solis, J., Takamatsu, J., Ogasawara, T. Interaction Force Estimation of an Eating Assistive Device for Quantitative Comfort Evaluation, 13th Annual ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human Robot Interaction, pp. 909-914, 2018.
- C Caulcrick, F Russell, S Wilson, C Sawade, R Vaidyanathan, “Unilateral Inertial and Muscle Activity Sensor Fusion for Gait Cycle Progress Estimation, 7th IEEE International Conference on Biomedical Robotics, 2018
- F Russell, Y Zhu, W Hey, R Vaidyanathan, P Ellison, “A biomimicking design for mechanical knee joints” Bioinspiration & biomimetics 13 (5), 056012, 2018.
- APH Needham, FP Paszkiewicz, MFM Alias, S Wilson, “Subject-Independent Data Pooling in Classification of Gait Intent Using Mechanomyography on a Transtibial Amputee,” IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 1806-1811, 2018.
- J Lai, R Woodward, Y Alexandrov, Q ain Munnee, CC Lees, “Performance of a wearable acoustic system for fetal movement discrimination PloS one”, 13 (5), e01957283, 2018.
- MF Md Alias, A Needham, AA Dehghani-Sanij, R Vaidyanathan , “Walking Activity Recognition with sEMG Sensor Array on Thigh Circumference using Convolutional Neural Network”, International Conference on Intelligent Systems Engineering (ICISE), 2018.
- Solis, J. and Takanishi, A. Challenges on Humanoid-Musician Interaction: From Biologically-Inspired Design to Impressions from Musicians, IEEE RO-MAN 2017 Workshop on The Barriers of Social Robotics take-up by Society, 2017.
- S Wilson, R Vaidyanathan, “Gesture Recognition Through Classification of Acoustic Muscle Sensing for Prosthetic Control” Conference on Biomimetic and Biohybrid Systems, 637-642, 2017.
- S Wilson, R Vaidyanathan, “Upper-limb prosthetic control using wearable multichannel mechanomyography”, International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics (ICORR), 1293-1298, 2017.
- M Anand, J Seipel, S Rietdyk ”A modelling approach to the dynamics of gait initiation” Journal of The Royal Society Interface 14 (128), 201700432, 2017.
- J Seipel, M Kvalheim, S Revzen, MA Sharbafi, A Seyfarth, “Conceptual Models of Legged Locomotion”, Bioinspired Legged Locomotion, 55-131, 2017.
- Solis, J., Sugita, Y., Peterssen, P., Takanishi, A., “Development of an anthropomorphic musical performance robot capable of playing the flute and saxophone: Embedding pressure sensors into the artificial lips as well as the re-designing of the artificial lips and lung mechanisms,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems, doi: 10.1016/j.robot.2016.08.024, 2016.
- J Ackerman, J Seipel, “Effects of independently altering body weight and mass on the energetic cost of a human running model”, Journal of biomechanics 49 (5), 691-697, 5, 2016.
- Yuan Yik Kok, K. H. Low, “Design and Evaluation of an Underactuated Adaptive Finger for Parallel Grippers”. ICARCV 2018: 1615-1620, 2016.