IEEE RAS Code of Conduct
The IEEE Robotics and Automation Society (RAS) is committed to providing safe, productive, and welcoming environments to all members, conference participants, staff members, vendors, and volunteers at all of its events and activities.
We welcome and encourage respectful and lively debates, differing opinions, and lively discussions. However, no IEEE RAS activity is a place for inappropriate, disruptive, or abusive behavior, either in person or online. Behaviors inconsistent with this Code of Conduct include:
- Abuse: Any action directed at an individual that (a) interferes substantially with that person’s participation; or (b) causes that person to fear for his/her personal safety. This includes threats, intimidation, bullying, stalking, or other types of abuse.
- Discriminatory Harassment: Any conduct that discriminates or denigrates an individual on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, citizenship, nationality, age, sexual or gender identity, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law in the location where the IEEE RAS activity takes place.
- Sexual Harassment: Unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, or other verbal/physical conduct of a sexual nature. Examples include (but are not limited to):
○ unwelcome advances or propositions, particularly when one individual has authority over the other;
○ inappropriate touching of an individual’s body;
○ degrading or humiliating comments about an individual’s appearance;
○ using an activity-related communication channel to display or distribute sexually explicit images or messages
Harassment can occur when there is no deliberate intention to offend. Be careful in the words that you choose. Harassment committed in a joking manner or disguised as a compliment still constitutes unacceptable behavior. Remember that sexist, racist, and other exclusionary jokes can be offensive to those around you.
This Code of Conduct applies to all IEEE RAS activities. We expect all participants to these activities to abide by this policy in all venues.
We ask you to report any violation of this Code of Conduct to on site staff, security or venue personnel, or to IEEE RAS at email@example.com.
Consequences of unacceptable behavior
Inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated. If asked to stop behaving inappropriately, you should comply immediately. If a participant engages in prohibited behavior, IEEE RAS reserves the right to:
- remove an individual from any IEEE RAS activity without warning or refund;
- prohibit an individual from participating in future IEEE RAS activities, including publishing in IEEE publications;
- exclude an individual from IEEE RAS leadership positions;
- suspend or terminate membership in IEEE RAS.
All violations of the law should also be reported to local law enforcement. For emergencies, immediately dial the local emergency number.
If you have questions regarding this Conference Code of Conduct or its implementation, please contact the IEEE RAS Society at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- IEEE Code of Conduct https://www.ieee.org/content/dam/ieee-org/ieee/web/org/about/ieee_code_of_conduct.pdf
- IEEE Code of Ethics https://www.ieee.org/about/corporate/governance/p7-8.html
- IEEE Nondiscrimination Policy https://www.ieee.org/about/corporate/governance/p9-26.html
- IEEE Policy Against Discrimination and Harassment https://www.ieee.org/content/dam/ieee-org/ieee/web/org/about/whatis/nondiscrimination.pdf