Industry & Government
The IEEE Robotics & Automation Society relizes the benefits of cooperation for advancement with industry and government entities. This is evident through a number of supported programs and projects.
The Society’s Industrial Activities Board (IAB) is responsible for all industry related matters and the growth of the industrial community within RAS, both by promoting the participation of industrial partners in current activities and creating links with academia and government, and by proposing new actions beneficial to these communities. The Board is composed of the Chair and additional members appointed by the RAS President in consultation with the Vice President for Industrial Activities.
The core themes of the IAB are threefold:
- Foster inter-disciplinary and cross-cutting research, collaboration, and coordination among industry, academia, government, and end-users
- IAB should serve as a bridge between these communities
- Critical for accelerating acceptance of emerging, future technologies while improving existing and established technologies
- Work towards bringing industrial partners and members from developing and underrepresented countries into the fold
- BRICS countries: Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa
- Technical know-how should be well represented within the Society
- IAB and RAS should be viewed as a global R&A entity rather than representing the view point of a handful of member nations
- Promote active participation of students in IAB/RAS activities
- Work closely with other Boards within the Society (e.g. MAB, TAB)
- Instill a strong sense of ethics, professionalism, and kinship to their profession and the Society The Industrial Activities Board organizes a variety of activities centered on the above themes: Industry Forums at ICRA o Invention and Entrepreneurship in Robotics and Automation (IERA) Award (jointly with the International Federation of Robotics)
- Standardization through the Standards Committee for Standards Activities (SCSA)
- A regular 300-400 word column on Industrial Activities in the Robotics & Automation Magazine focusing on new emerging technologies and products, feature stories about robotics and automation entrepreneurs with lessons learnt, report on standards and technology roadmaps, to name a few
- Outreach activities including working with trade organizations, other professional societies, and standards developing organizations.
Attachments: IEEE-RAS AdCom Meeting Industrial Activities Board Report, IROS’12, Vilamoura, Portugal.