Our Mission is to foster the development and facilitate the exchange of scientific and technological knowledge in Robotics and Automation that benefits members, the profession and humanity.
Our Vision is to be the most recognized and respected global organization in Robotics and Automation.
Field of Interest
RAS strives to advance innovation, education, and fundamental and applied research in Robotics and Automation. Robotics focuses on systems incorporating sensors and actuators that operate autonomously or semi-autonomously in cooperation with humans. Robotics research emphasizes intelligence and adaptability to cope with unstructured environments. Automation research emphasizes efficiency, productivity, quality, and reliability, focusing on systems that operate autonomously, often in structured environments over extended periods, and on the explicit structuring of such environments. (Approved by IEEE TAB 11/07)
The IEEE Robotics and Automation Society is one of some 45 societies and councils within the IEEE, and abides by its governing documents. In addition, RAS has society specific governing documents:
The IEEE Robotics and Automation Society is managed by the Administrative Committee, which consists of eighteen elected members and six officers of the Society. The Executive Committee, which is chaired by the President, administers the day-to-day business of the Society. Six Vice Presidents are a part of the Executive Committee, each leads a major board:
- Conference Activities Board
- Financial Activities Board
- Industrial Activities Board
- Member Activities Board
- Publication Activities Board
- Technical Activities Board
Also considered a major board, the Electronic Products and Services Board is responsible for the creation and management of the Society’s web site and electronic services.
There are other standing committees that administer the operations of the Society in various areas. These include:
- Advisory Committee (Junior-Past President, Chair)
- Awards Committee (Senior-Past President, Chair)
- Constitution & Bylaws Committee (Secretary, Chair)
- Fellow Committees
- Long Range Planning Committee (President-Elect, Chair)
- Nominations Committee (Junior-Past President, Chair)
- Robotics and Automation Research and Practice Ethics Committee
- Special Interest Group on Humanitarian Technologies
The Society President may also establish ad hoc committees of finite duration to fulfill specific needs.