IROS 2020- Call for Student Tutorial Organizing Chair
The IROS 2020 Organizing Committee is looking for a motivated graduate student volunteer to organize Tutorials for IROS 2020 in Las Vegas (25 -29 Oct). This is a highly-visible, core organizing role that requires initiative, excellent organizational and communication skills, and good time management.
The selected candidate will be required to:
• Determine ~10 Tutorial topics, as suggested by the student population in general. Online poll data suggesting various popular topics is already available and includes such topics as “Soft Robotics”, “Tensorflow in Robotics”, “Introduction to ROS”, etc. Further polling should be conducted in a timely manner to narrow down desired topics.
• Recruit ~10 students, each responsible for chairing 1 Tutorial session during IROS 2020 on one of the topics as determined by online poll above. Each of these students would be responsible for recruiting and identifying Tutorial speakers for their assigned Tutorial session, as well as organizing the agenda for their Tutorial.
• In general, provide high-level supervision of the IROS 2020 Tutorial sessions and their assigned student chairs.
The timeline for this position begins now and ends approximately after the conclusion of IROS 2020 on 29 October 2020. The selected candidate will begin immediately with the goal of recruiting ~10 tutorial chairs completed around mid-August, and a list of confirmed tutorial speakers (provided by each of the ~10 student Tutorial chairs) around the end of August.
Interested applicants should:
• Have experience organizing or volunteering in medium-to-large size events
• Be familiar with previous tutorials at RAS conferences, preferably ICRA and IROS
• Be currently pursuing a graduate degree (preferably a PhD, although MSc students will be considered)
Students interested in this position should email the IROS 2020 Program Chair, Paul Oh, at email@example.com, using the subject line [IROS 2020 Tutorials] and CC Megan Emmons (firstname.lastname@example.org), Senior Chair of RAS Student Activities Committee. Applicants should include their CV and highlight their volunteer and research experience as both of those skills will be crucial to the success of the event. The deadline for application consideration is 1 August 2019.