Empowering Technical Committees with the TABxSAC Dinner at IROS 2023 in Detroit
Date: 6th November, 2023
On 30 September 2023, Detroit's Huntington Place hosted the TABxSAC Dinner, a major event organized by the Technical Activities Board (TAB) of the IEEE Robotics and Automation Society (RAS). The event aimed to connect current and future leaders and to introduce RAS Technical Committees (TC), TAB, and the Student Activities Committee (SAC) to students and postdocs. The event presented students with opportunities to be involved in RAS and become a leader. TAB leadership was pleased with the dinner’s success: attendees, who totaled approximately 400, included professors and industrial experts from 30 TCs as well as 350 postdoctoral researchers and students.
About RAS Technical Committees (TCs)
Technical Committees (TCs) oversee research within the IEEE Robotics and Automation Society and encourage innovation in various technical areas. Currently, RAS has 45 TCs that foster specialized research collaboration. New TCs are formed as emerging topics gain importance. These committees offer valuable opportunities for members to connect and work together within specific subfields.
Click for more details: https://www.ieee-ras.org/technical-committees
- Kyujin Cho, VP of TAB, inaugurated the evening by shedding light on TAB as well as the crucial roles that TCs and TC Clusters play within RAS.
Kyujin Cho, Vice President of TAB, opened the event.
- TC Activities Spotlight: Gregory Gerling from the TC on Haptics and Josie Hughes from the TC on Soft Robotics showcased the impressive strides their TCs are making.
Gregory Gerling discusses the TC on Haptics.
Josie Hughes discusses the TC on Soft Robotics.
- SAC's Vision: Enrica Tricomi, the Chair of SAC, elucidated the committee's objectives and aspirations.
- Nurturing Future Minds: The Student Representatives Program, spearheaded by Amy K. Han, Associate Vice President of TAB, and Enrica Tricomi showcased the pathways and opportunities for budding talents.
Introduction to SAC & Student Representatives by Amy Kyungwon Han, Associate Vice President of TAB and Enrica Tricomi, the SAC Chair, discuss SAC and Student Representatives.
- We also provided a demonstration on how to join TCs and RAS-SAC on the IEEE.
Attendees had the chance to chat with TC members over dinner. Each table was dedicated to a specific TC Cluster. Students could select their table of choice. The event also included an interactive quiz, a “lucky draw” event (with t-shirts), and a lively Q&A session.
The networking dinner brought together TC Co-Chairs, students, and postdoctoral researchers.
On-site reactions were overwhelmingly positive. "We were happy to see many students actively participating throughout the event. We also would like to thank TC Chairs/Co-Chairs for their support," said Amy K. Han, one of the organizers. A TC member also noted, "Informing students about RAS and TAB revitalizes our boards, and seeing 200+ enthusiastic students at the event was truly inspiring." Students' feedback echoed these sentiments:
- "Valuable info sharing."
- "Loved conversing at the tables."
- "Top-notch networking opportunities."
- "A blend of knowledge, networking, and delicious food."
TAB is therefore planning a future TABxSAC Dinner at ICRA 2024, with the hope of gaining even greater RAS leadership participation. They would like to thank all for their efforts in participating in such a successful event.